The Gelatin and Hydrolyzed Collagen processing industries were one of the first to benefit from Membrane systems use. The introduction of Ultrafiltration in the process of protein concentrating in place of the evaporator has led to significant steam savings and improvement of the product quality. This is due to the salt content reduction with the protein concentration with membrane and to the fact that concentration with membranes occurs at lower temperatures when compared to evaporator.
WGM has been present in this industry since 1994 through the provision of systems, membranes and cleaning products.
In addition to this traditional application, Membrane and Electrodialysis processes can be applied in this industry to:
- Clarification and fat removal of gelatin and collagen.
- Recovery of solids from permeate.
- Clarification and Concentration of Hydrolyzed Collagen.
- Salts reduction of gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen.
- Reuse of water and condensate in the process.